A rich and full dinner, this rack of lamb and accompaniments will please your guests. Chef/owner Andrew Meek, sage, the restaurant, Des Moines, IA
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 russet potatoes, peeled, sliced ⅛″ thick
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled, sliced ⅛″ thick
- 2 small celery roots, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Roth GranQueso®, finely shredded
- 5 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 medium turnips, peeled, sliced ⅛″ thick
- 1 lamb rack (2-3 pounds), cleaned and frenched
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Parsley Macadamia Pesto
- 2 ounces Roth GranQueso®, cubed
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons macadamia nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Liberally coat the bottom of a 6-quart casserole dish with butter. Layer bottom of dish with ⅓ to ½ of the potato slices, tightly overlapping slices. Lightly dust potato layer with cornstarch through a sieve. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer ⅓ to ½ of the remaining ingredients in the following order: garlic, fennel, rutabaga, celery root, carrot, Roth GranQueso®, thyme and turnip. Repeat layers, dusting each layer of potatoes with cornstarch.
- Cover casserole dish with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 1½ to 2 hours or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. Preheat a large sauté pan on high heat for several minutes or until lightly smoking. Add canola oil and sear lamb rack on all sides until golden brown. Place a meat rack on a sheet pan and place lamb on rack. Bake for 12-13 minutes (for medium rare); remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Parsley Macadamia Pesto
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until nearly smooth.
- To serve, slice rack of lamb into thin chops with bones. Place a piece of potato dish on center of plate and surround with lamb chops. Drizzle lamb with pesto.