This savory tart can serve as a brunch staple or be cut into pieces for appetizers. Chef John Hogan, Keefer’s, Chicago
- 1 package frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced
- 3 strips bacon, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces wild mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces Swiss chard
- 4 ounces Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda , shredded (plus additional to garnish)
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco® sauce to taste
- Prepare puff pastry shells according to package directions, but undercook with approximately 5 minutes less baking time than called for on the package. Do not allow shells to brown. Remove pastry shells from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325˚ F.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and bacon over medium heat; cook until onion starts to caramelize. Add mushrooms; cook for 3-5 minutes. Add Swiss chard; cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and allow mixture to cool. Stir in Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, cream, thyme, nutmeg, salt, pepper and Tabasco® sauce. Add egg mixture to mushroom mixture and stir until well combined.
- Divide egg mixture evenly between tarts and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with additional Roth Vintage Van Gogh® Gouda.