What do you get when you mix grilled chorizo, Roth Van Gogh® Natural Smoked Gouda, and onion and chili relish? A surprisingly delectable sandwich. Chef Ulrich Koberstein, group director of culinary arts at Destination Kohler, Kohler, WI
- Onion and Chili Relish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3-4 small red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chorizo sausages, butterflied
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces Roth Van Gogh® Natural Smoked Gouda, sliced
- 1 small baguette, sliced in half and split
Onion and Chili Relish
- Sweat onions in a large shallow pan in oil over low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients to onions and cook until the vinegar has completely reduced and the sugar has caramelized (any leftover relish should be refrigerated).
- Char-grill chorizo sausage at medium heat until fully cooked.
- Spread butter onto sliced baguette and grill until lightly toasted.
- Layer relish, chorizo sausage and Roth Van Gogh® Natural Smoked Gouda on baguette and serve immediately.